Monday, September 27, 2010

Week 40: 178 pounds

Ok, so I had to take a break from the Couch-to-5K thing for a week, because my father was in the hospital and I spent all of my available time there. He is recovering nicely now, after beating back congestive heart failure. But I learned a few startling things during the time I was visiting him. Actually no, I guess I knew them all along, but they never really registered with me until now. I'm gonna die of a heart attack, assuming I don't get hit by a truck first. It's in my family, on both sides. My dad's dad had a heart attack, my mom's dad had a heart attack, my dad's birth mother did, as did my mom's mom and her mom as well; all heart attacks. So, I guess I know what my ticket out will be.

Seeing my father in the hospital, all hooked up to enough technology to amaze NASA, made me project myself there in a few years. I didn't like it. Gotta work the program harder, so I can reduce my risk.

But then the surgeon that performed the procedure added this little bit of wisdom: "I've seen people in horrible shape, and people in fine-tuned athletic shape, suffer congestive heart failure, so one never knows." Great. What's the point then?

Oh, I know: So when the hot nurses are hooking me up to NASA, I'm not too embarrassed by my body. Yeah, that's the ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment